Leg of LambPrep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 3 pounds butterflied American Lamb leg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 cup shelled, toasted pistachios (toast in a pan or for 8 to 10 minutes in a 350° oven)
- 1 cup fresh mint (leaves only)
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley (stems are okay)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red chile flakes
- Lay lamb leg open on a cutting board. Trim off visible fat. Season lamb generously with salt and pepper; allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- In a food processor, add pistachios, mint, parsley, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper and chile flakes; blend until somewhat chunky.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill the lamb leg to medium-rare (remove from heat when thermometer reads between 130°F and 135°F), or to desired doneness.
- Rest the meat, lightly covered, for at least 10 minutes before serving. Slice meat across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve lamb with the pesto, grilled vegetables and a salad.